Newsies Audition Info
1. Please learn as many of the songs from the audition cuts PDF that you can. If you couldn’t attend the workshop don’t worry. At the very least learn “Carrying the Banner.”
2. If you haven’t already signed up for an audition slot please email email@example.com. Bethany will contact you with availability for Monday Nov 29 or Wednesday Dec 1st.
3. Once you have your audition date and time scheduled don’t forget to fill out the Google Form!
See you at the audition. Have fun and bring your best self!
Directors/choreographers: Tricia Benn and Bethany Pettigrew
Assoc Director: Gregory Osborne
Musical Director: Jake Ezzo
Orchestra Director: Peter Bauer
Stage Crew: Tara Abbondante
Producer: LuAnne Kleppe
Costumes: Barbara Canace
HOW DO I AUDITION ?:
Attend the audition workshop on Monday November 22nd at 3:15 in the chorus room. At the workshop you’ll sign up for an audition slot for either Monday Nov 29th or Wednesday Dec 1st. After you will learn audition song selections as well as some basic dialect work.
*MUSIC WILL BE PROVIDED AND WILL ALSO BE POSTED ON CHSMUSICALS.COM
WHAT TO EXPECT AT THE AUDITION:
1. Students come in one at a time and sing one of the selections from the workshop. We may or may not ask you to sing a 2nd selection. Have fun. Make strong choices. If you make mistakes it’s OK!
2. Groups of 8-10 come in and learn a short dance combination from the show. Please no flip flops or UGGS. Sneakers or dance shoes are advised.
3. The audition process lasts about 1 hour
WHAT IF I CAN’T ATTEND THE WORKSHOP BUT I STILL WANT TO AUDITION?
Please email me ASAP- firstname.lastname@example.org. I will give you an audition time slot. The audition selections will be on CHSMUSICALS.COM. for you to learn on your own. Any other questions don’t hesitate to reach out.
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THE AUDITION ?:
1. Some kids will get a dance callback and/or a signing/acting callback. The callback list will be posted outside the chorus room after school by Friday December 3rd outside the chorus room. Some kids will not be called back but may still be cast in the show or as an EAC. (see below for EAC info)
2. Call backs are Monday Dec 6th and/or Tuesday Dec 7th.. If you have a callback there may be additional material to learn. Visit CHSMUSICALS.COM to download the sides or music. Please do your best to be prepared and on time.
3. We will post the final cast list by Friday Dec 10th.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I AM CAST IN THE SHOW ?:
We expect each cast member to be at all rehearsals that they are cast in (understudies too). Cast members are allowed 2 absences during the rehearsal period. These must be cleared in advance. Weekend rehearsals are mandatory. Fundraisers are mandatory. All tech rehearsals are mandatory. We expect for you to put in volunteer time and to understand that performing is not your only role. It takes a village.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I AM CAST IN THE ENSEMBLE APPRENTICE COMPANY (EAC):
The Ensemble Apprentice Company is comprised of talented underclassman that we want to be part of our program. It’s like being on the JV team of a sport. We simply can’t produce the show without these cast members. They are featured in the Cabaret performance along with upperclassmen.
• attending all rehearsals for your particular track., standing in for absent cast members during rehearsals, providing backstage vocal support during performances if needed, helping with lobby display, educational outreach and fundraising opportunities and helping backstage with costumes, makeup or stage crew during the performances.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I AM NOT CAST AS A PERFORMER OR EAC?:
We hate that we can’t cast everyone but we still want you to be a part of the fun. There are lots of opportunities with stage crew, costumes, hair/make up, and as production assistants. Let us know and we’ll help you find your best fit. _________________________________________________________________________________________
2021-22 CHS All School Musical Calendar and important dates:
Interest meeting: Friday October 22nd- Auditorium 3:30-4:30pm
Audition Prep Workshop: Monday November 22nd- Chorus room 3:30-5:30pm (This is also the day that you will sign up for an audition time slot)
Auditions: Choose Monday November 29th or Wednesday December 1st: Dance Studio 3:30-6:30 Audition Callbacks: Monday December 6th and Tuesday December 7th- We will contact you if you have a callback.
Final Cast List Posted: Friday December 10th by 3:30pm and on our website.
Rehearsals begin Monday December 13th 3:30-6PM-
(The specific rehearsal schedule is given out weekly.)
IMPORTANT MANDATORY DATES:
• SAT JAN 29TH: Kids Fundraiser and all day rehearsal
• WEDNESDAY FEB 2nd: EAC Cabaret Fundraiser 7pm-10pm
• SAT/SUN FEB 26/27: Costume Parade/Wig Fitting/Sing Thru/Rehearsal
• SAT MARCH 5TH: Possible rehearsal/Fittings
• SUN MARCH 6TH: Tech Sunday all day
• MONDAY FEB 28-MARCH 4TH: expect later rehearsals
• MONDAY MARCH 7-10: Tech expect later rehearsals
• THURSDAY MARCH 10- Invited Dress Rehearsal
March 11th- March 20th
March 20 SET STRIKE
March 20 Pot Luck 7:00pm-11:00pm- Cafeteria
-PERFORMANCE WORKSHOP FOR KIDS SATURDAY Jan 29th
-CABARET FEATURING THE EAC WEDNESDAY FEB 2nd 7-10pm
-AD SALES- all cast members must sell/fundraise ads/boosters for the program
COMMUNITY SERVICE PROJECT:
Any questions or for more info please contact Bethany Pettigrew:
Bethany Pettigrew and Tricia Benn